Oh I am so excited about this recipe. When my son was an infant I was involved in a Women's Bible Study where the older women mentored the younger women. It was called "Apples of Gold". It was a Bible Study and then a cooking class all rolled in one and then we got to eat together too. This Irish Soda bread was one of my favorites and this time of the year it is GREAT with soups. So this is not my recipe, but one that was given to me during the Apples of Gold Study.
Irish Soda Bread:
1 Cup Whole Wheat Flour
1 Cup White Flour
2 ounces margarine or butter (you know what I use. . .Butter)
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
pinch of salt
A little Sugar (optional) (I use about 1 tablespoon)
A drizzle of honey (this is an add on by me)
Enough milk to mix dough into a ball
Mix all dry Ingredients together in a bowl. Rub margarine/butter into ingredients with fingers. Mix to a fairly soft paste with enough milk to make dough easy to handle with out being too sticky. Turn dough onto floured surface and knead into smooth shape (like a ball). Flatten a bit (not too flat) into a circular shape and make and "X" on top with a knife (this helps the dough to to rise). Place in a preheated oven at 350 degrees and allow to bake for 30 minutes or until brown or firm. Use a greased cookie sheet. I use a round stone to bake this.
Irish Soda Bread:
1 Cup Whole Wheat Flour
1 Cup White Flour
2 ounces margarine or butter (you know what I use. . .Butter)
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
pinch of salt
A little Sugar (optional) (I use about 1 tablespoon)
A drizzle of honey (this is an add on by me)
Enough milk to mix dough into a ball
Mix all dry Ingredients together in a bowl. Rub margarine/butter into ingredients with fingers. Mix to a fairly soft paste with enough milk to make dough easy to handle with out being too sticky. Turn dough onto floured surface and knead into smooth shape (like a ball). Flatten a bit (not too flat) into a circular shape and make and "X" on top with a knife (this helps the dough to to rise). Place in a preheated oven at 350 degrees and allow to bake for 30 minutes or until brown or firm. Use a greased cookie sheet. I use a round stone to bake this.
Comments